Monday, October 10, 2005

I was gonna put this in the other post for today, but it just didn't fit.

God forbid I get labelled as a regular blogger.

Anywho...

I'm off work today. To celebrate some guy who ran slaves and accidentally smacked into the East coast of the United States back in 1492.

Don't get me wrong, I'll celebrate your goldfish's birthday if I get a day off for it.

I'm just wondering two things:

1. Why did I have to wait until I got to COLLEGE to find out that this guy wasn't the best thing since sliced bread?

2. Aren't there a lot of OTHER dead human beings who deserve a day to celebrate more than a dead slave-runner?

Of course, I don't judge this guy because I'd be judging his 5-century-old actions based on my 2005 standards. But what I DO wonder is WHY we still celebrate him?

Is that the message we want to pass on to our kids? And to the rest of the world?

"Hey everybody, we'd just like to let you know that we are STILL celebrating the works of a dead slave-trader."

Of course, history classes for me were usually nap time, so I could be way off-base here.

Any thoughts from the huge audience this blog has?

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

lmao..me and a spammer answered..

columbus was a creep and i had a helluva time explaining Columbus Day to my son when he was young..

Its a Mental Health day.nothing more nothing less..yes others are far more worthy..like..brad pitt..just kidding..but yes, Chris doesnt deserve this day..lots of companies dont celebrate it anymore..just the fed govt.

Monday, October 10, 2005 at 5:41:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

dude..you get bored already?

Thursday, October 13, 2005 at 10:56:00 AM CDT  
Blogger JimBob said...

I must be getting popular - that's TWO spammers now.

I guess ya know yer BLOG's not too popular whent the spammers outnumber the human beings...

Not bored, just busy. I rarely get time at work these days to do anything online but WORK. Imagine that - they actually want me to EARN my money! LOL

And after staring at the computer all day at work, it's hard to log on at home. I guess it's the pizza hut syndrome. You know, the guy that works at Pizza Hut HATES having pizza for dinner.

I think Brad Pitt Day would be cool. As long as it doesn't coincide with any other holidays. Like that evil thing they did when they combined Washington's and Lincoln's bday (and whoever else) and called it "President's Day".

Dammit, I think BOTH those president's should be honored by giving me TWO days off.

I'm gonna write my Congressman.

Friday, October 14, 2005 at 11:57:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Karen Zipdrive said...

JB- get that weird letter verification thing off Blogspot and dump those Spammers.

Friday, October 14, 2005 at 12:50:00 PM CDT  
Blogger JimBob said...

but the spammers are making up most of my audience.

that would be rude to them.

Friday, October 14, 2005 at 1:11:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home